litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Evora Of Glew/holmes Takes Gt4 Win At Silverstone

Mark H

A brilliant performance from Phil Glew and Chris Holmes gave the Lotus Sport UK team something to celebrate as the Avon Tyres British GT Championship drew to a close at Silverstone.

Starting from GT4 pole position the #48 Lotus Evora lead the class from the off, with their nearest competitor the #50 Ginetta of Denis/McDonald running close with them in the early stages. As the race wore on Glew pulled away only for the field to be closed up by a 20 minute safety car period midway through the race. Holmes would maintain the lead to take the chequered flag and GT4 win.

Holmes who had only driven the car for the first time the day before was delighted with the result: "Brilliant stuff, I Really enjoyed the race. Phil drove the wheels off it to enable me to have a comfortable stint and I really got to learn the car."

Team mate Glew enjoyed the race which rounded off a positive year. "What a great end to the season, the team is awesome, the car has been brilliant and all my various team mates this year have done a great job."

The #49 Lotus Evora of Freddy Nordstrom and Leyton Clarke was unlucky not to finish the race after looking like they were set for a podium finish. Heading in to the race Nordstrom and Clarke had an outside chance of taking the GT4 title but an unknown problem saw the car grind to a halt in the closing stages of the race, ending any chances.

Nordstrom commented: "I'm a bit disappointed with this weekend; car issues and then breaking down at the end of this race cost us the chance of the GT4 title."

Clarke was similarly disappointed: "It's been a bit of a rubbish weekend with the car failing at the end of the race, but that's racing!"

Team manager Gary Ayles had mixed feelings about the result, “Phil and Chris did the job and were fastest across the weekend. Followed by the win, I couldn't ask for much more really! I thought we were on for a win and a third but the car failed on the last few laps. The team will be looking into why that occurred.”

Looking back over the season Ayles commented: ”All the drivers we've had with us this year have done a fantastic job! Roll on next season!”

You can follow the team on twitter at @LotusSportUKGT and on facebook at www.facebook.com/LotusSportUK.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived