• 0 - 2500
    • 2500 - 5000
    • 5000 - 7500
    • 7500 - 10000
    • 10000 - 15000
    • 15000 - 20000
    • 20000 - 30000
    • 30000 +

as my car sits in the garage for another 2 weeks i got to wondering if im using it enough to warrent keeping it

when i had my elise as a daily driver i covered 13 - 15 k per year and loved it, except the wet rainy, frosty, snowy days

now i have a daily hack the exige is covering 3-5k per year max, and i've hardly used it all summer.

however when i do drive it, it feels very special and i love it all over again

so how many is enough??

richbk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this thought when I had my Elise, and now I have an Exige :lol:

My thoughts is that its a 2nd car, I will use it when I think its appropriate / good weather etc, and enjoy it.

When I cant afford it, or the enjoyment goes its time to sell.

I do 2.5 - 3k a year. I know what you mean though, tax, insurance, servicing etc all adds up. So just try and use it abit more :)

I've done 18,000 in mine in one year and 5 months and it's a second car! :) - I love it! *

Just spent 10 minutes writing a long reply about what Elise ownership means to me, but I've deleted it. I expect it would upset too many on here.

Suffice to say, it's a car. Get in it. Drive it. Take it instead of the normal car whenever you can. One day I know that I won't be able to own/drive/fit/have one for what ever reason.

So I make the most of it.

*PS - I have been to the Alps and back twice in that time :lol:

[hey chop

what did you delete..i'm sure you wouldn't have upset anyone /?

i would love to drive mine more, but my daily commute is 62 miles...each way from staffordshire to central brum. thats 8-9 miles of queueing "a" roads and 50 odd sat on the m6 followed by 2 miles of really queuing traffic on the aston express way. that would really depress me in the exige..exept the queensways tunnels of course!!. so my little daily runner is perfect, and as i said i enjoy the exige all the more when i drive it. i drove home from brum today via lichfield etc and had a blast, except having to watch a guy lose control of his fiesta ST trying to impress me with his driving abilities on a roundabout and nearly flipping his car :lol:

richbk

rich

Use it on track that where you'll get the most out of it

There's no way you can get the most out of an Exige on the public roads

Only use my Exige S for track days and trailer it to and from

IMO the only way to go with an Exige :lol::)

agreed on the performance side,

but alas my life seems to lack about 4 extra hours per day, and 30 too few days off per year to do all the stuff i want too.

i work full time, on non specific days, i.e work any 5 of 7 in week, changing regulary, and also have wife and young son who need to see me occasionally, so much as i would love to do more trackdays, i just cant, havent managed 1 this year and only 2 last year. ultimately i'd love to race it, as i am hyper competative in most things i do, and would love the buzz if not the bills...but by the time i have time to do that ...i'll be to old;(

but hey its not all doom and gloom, i am typing this whilst drininking beer listening to music and avoiding both x factor and strictly :lol:

richbk

I think it's waste not to use the thing. I've had mine for nearly 10 years and put 90,000 miles on it.

It get's the odd track day, but I actually enjoy driving it in the rain (you don't need to be going as fast to have a bit of fun) and as my 30 mile each way commute has a few miles of fun roads as well as 15 miles of motorway it brings a smile to my face every day. It gets looked after mechanically (although only gets cleaned every few months) is cheap on tyres, fuel and and i service it myself, so very cheap to run.

Each to their own and it doesn't suit everyone's circumstances, but for me it's perfect for what I need. :lol:

At the moment I do approx 400 miles a weekend and 80 miles commuting in the week, add at least 1 Euro trip (2 this year) and I'm up to 18k - 20k. Hopefully though this will come down when i finally move southwards permanently.

As much as I hate motorway miles, I love how easy this car is to drive on such trips, and love driving something different to all the boring Golf's, A4's and Mondeo's filling up the middle lane.

Ive not even had mine for a month yet so difficult for me to comment, But I did put 750miles on it in the first weekend. It is used as my daily driver but im lucky that work is only 7.5 miles up the road (enough to get it warmed properly, but not too far to rack the mileage up to quickly) so I only do 75miles per week for work, and the rest is fun miles :D.

I had a bit of a dilema when i picked it up, do I use it all the time and rack the mileage up having loads of fun and ultimatley loose a little on re-sale, or do i only use it on sunny days, keep the mileage low and get back what i paid for it. Ive decided to enjoy it to the full as I probably wont be able to keep it when I buy a house next year, so its used all the time and as long as its not raining the roof is off. I find myself getting up early just to go for a drive and have some fun before the roads get busy. Over the past few years ive done an average of 10k per year i think in this it will go up to 12k per year owning the elise I just want to get in and drive it.

Well, I've only had mine a week but assuming I'll keep doing a similar weekly milage I'm looking at 11k a year. Having said that, my bike has only been out once since I got the Elise and I tend to ride that quite often. It should drop a little below hopefully as insurance only covers me for 8k!!

Archived