litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Don't Buy This Elan

Snapper

Went to see Went to see M100 S2 no 159 medina green... m100 SP which is for sale in Autotrader.

I must say looking at the pictures on Autotraders web site it looked a bargain at £ 7000. Especially when the owner Stephanie said the car had a lot of history and talked up the car. I thought right I must view it because it sounds well looked after. Didn't say much about the hidden history :P

So I went to have a look at the car, now when I say I went to look at the car I should have said cars. There has to be more than one in this car. Because this is the worst car I have ever seen apart from ones in a scrap yards or that have been in a major pile up on the M6.

The front end is off a red car and hasn't been put on very well and looks like it has had a few knocks since. Pealing paint in the engine bay gives it away.

The geo/tracking is out and doesn't feel right at all. History shows it has gone through a number of wheel bearings. The front clams have more stress lines and cracks than Margaret Thatcher’s face.

The car shows 46,000 miles. Well I am sure that the dash has only done 46,000 mile, but the engine must have done far more than that judging by the state of it and the amount of money spent keeping it going.

I have been told that Elans "Fly". This must be because they have magic carpets. Because most of them were loose or hanging off. This must be so Sinbad can grab one out quickly, jump on it and fly off.

The sadist thing is the poor lady is still spending money on this car, not that you would notice.

Having looked through the history I asked if she had the receipt for the replacement front half of the cars! Because in my view she should take it back and ask for a refund.

I also pointed out a lot of other things that was wrong as well and the costs involved in putting things right. I think she was taken back a bit.

She claims that Club Lotus have been and done a valuation on the car and said it’s worth £ 11,000.00. Well I will have two pints of what ever that person was drinking at the time.

I can't believe that anyone from Club Lotus has ever seen this car. Because if they have I will ask the guy to come and value some of my Rottweilers artistic impressions that can be found in my back garden. Tate Modern here we come

I reckon that you would have to spend £ 10,000 to put this car right. As it stands I would say that it has a parts value only of £ 500 -£ 800 IMHO.

post-152-1143226686.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She claims that Club Lotus have been and done a valuation on the car and said it’s worth £ 11,000.00.

Club Lotus don't "come" to the car. You have to take photo's (reaches for valuation form..) 3/4 front view, 3/4 rear view, general interior, engine bay.

You then have a section to complete on body, paintwork, chrome fittings, chassis/bodywork, interior, engine, transmission, electrical equipment and estimated value.

These points are graded

Concours, A+ (genuine very good condition)

A (as above but requires some attention or lacks history/originality)

B (Basically sound cars that are useable but would benefit from attention)

C (complete running cars in need of major work. Non-running cars and basket cases, or dismantled cars will fall into this category, but will command a lower value).

There is another section allowing for free text description of modifications from original and other pertinent information.

Valuations are then granted by either Club Lotus or Paul Matty.

Photographs can be very deceiving. They don't throw up the sort of 'tell-tale' signs as described by Snapper, such as flaking paint revealing different colours, stress lines, wear and 'feel' of the car. None of which would necessarily be thrown up by a HPI check either.

It just goes to show that there is a lot to gain by buying from a reputable dealer or 'known' cars or at the very least (for newcomers) having someone who knows what they are looking at/for to go over the car.

Snapper - have you posted on ElanCentral etc.?

Gary

Hi M111

Yes I have posted on Elan Central. 'Clemof1' started a tread and I have added to it since. See here: http://lotuselancentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6558

AND ON SELOC: http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=75730

"Trackside' has ran a HPI check on the car and this is what has been thrown up:

Trackside

Running an HPi check on the car reveals that M10OSP is recorded on the VCAR register (vehicle condition alert) under a previous reg no, M10TUS.

HPi that plate and you'll find out that M10TUS was subject to an insurance total loss payout (written off) in October 2004, just 1 month after the car was registered! Since then it's had 7 keepers under the plate M669RVY.

Buyer beware, as they say.

Incidentally, M10TUS is currently on a Mazda RX-8...

I have emailed the owner Stephanie with the results of the HPI, so if she sells the car and the buyer turns up as a newbie on Elan Central, MLOC, and Seloc as a proud owner and finds out the truth. They can go back to the owner for the money on the grounds of misrepresentation.

The owner can't say I was unaware and sold the car in good faith because she now knows in on uncertain terms the full history of the car. Even if she tried to tel me differently.

I will keep the email stored just in case need arises. But,

Copy of the email below for the record:

Subject: Re: The Lotus

Date: 23 March 2006 22:54:54 GMT

To: stephpeters

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for sending that picture. One thing I forgot to ask was has the car ever been in an accident?

Regards

Jamie

On 21 Mar 2006, at 15:28, stephanie peters wrote:

he previous owner said no when i asked him, and I haven't stuffed it in the last three years.

Thanks

Stephanie

To: stephanie peters

Subject: Re: The Lotus

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:54:54 +0000

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for sending that picture. One thing I forgot to ask was has the car ever been in an accident?

Regards

Jamie

On 21 Mar 2006, at 15:28, stephanie peters wrote:

Hi Jamie

I have had the car for three years and have a massive amount of receipts and history. It doesn?t have a full service history. I am owner no. 7.

The reason for sale is my partner died and I can?t afford to keep it anymore. It is in lovely condition apart from the passenger door lock is a bit temperamental. It has a superb stereo, fitted mats and Goodyear f1 tyres. I have loved this car and taken care of it for the last three years. I even hired a garage to keep it in. I think I have priced is as a bargain because I need it to sell. Any other questions, you are welcome to ask. I have never raced it on a track. It has a K & N air filter and greenstuff pads and a stainless steel back box.

I am in a village outside of Atherstone, north Warwickshire, if you want to view the car. All the bits and bobs I have had done on have been done by Christopher neils and my local garage.

Thanks

Stephanie

LETS JUST HOPE SHE CONTINUES TO BE THE CHERISHED OWNER FOR SOME CONSIDERABLE TIME TO COME B)

HPi that plate and you'll find out that M10TUS was subject to an insurance total loss payout (written off) in October 2004, just 1 month after the car was registered! Since then it's had 7 keepers under the plate M669RVY.

[/i]

Is that right? Loss @ 2004 - 1 month after registration, and seven keepers since?

(or should that have read 1994?)

Gary

• 5 weeks later...

Snapper

This car has been the subject of some concern on LEC for a while now - your input into the background (both here and on LEC) has been most welcome.

I can vouch for the car's jack though - I sold it to her about 3 years ago on eBay (£1.00 plus £3.00 p&p) and it remains the only item that I've sold that received no positive feedback. Seems she is dishonourable to the enth degree.

I hope this experience doesn't put you off your Elan search - there are some beauties out there.

Sy

Hi Simon

For some reason I can't log on to LEC to post.

I would love to know what what she managed to move the car on for....

I am sure that the new owner could still bounce her in the court for their money back.

Has anyone from LEC spoken to the new owner?

Jamie

Archived