litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rumours ?

PPPMAT

Had my first (free) service done last week and had a chat with gerald at Peter Smiths.

We got chatting about the exige and HE said (not me) that Lotus was developing a bolt on supercharger for the exige only - something to do with fitment in the engine bay.

Apparently 250 bhp - due later on in 2005. No sales pitch or whatever so this must be true..

Matt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its not surprising. toyota already have a scharger for this engine IIRC but it wont fit in the elise engine bay. Not sure why this was n't done from the start really to differentiate from the 111r.

if u go on toyota celica website there was a post for turbo charging the 190 VVTL-i lump for £1500 and u was looking around the 270-300 bhp mark with this conversion, not sure wat size the exhaust manifold is and weather it would fit in elise/eixge engine bay, but i,m sure a custom exhaust maker could over come this issue?? seams alot cheaper than the cost to go turbo technices etc

Agreed. Apparently the Toyota developed supercharger is too big to fit into the engine bay of the elise/exige. There has been a recent development where a supercharger has been produced that is smaller, supposedly small enough to fit.

I'm not suprised that Lotus didn't develop one straight off, as they knew that there would be a waiting list for the Exige as standard. Only when sales start to flag will they introduce the new hardcore Exige with supercharger, therefore boosting sales again and also enabling it as a Lotus offered upgrade at a large premium.

Sounds like good product marketing strategy to me ;) Only downside would be if Lotus get beaten by an aftermarket provider.

Archived